Wednesday, December 11, 2013

One Day at a Time

The best things in life, I'm learning, are the things that happen one day at a time. When I think of one day at a time, my first thought is recovery. I can only survive by taking it one day at a time. If I try to bite off more than I can chew, and look at a day 3 months from now, I am going to get discouraged. In fact, I don't have to worry about 3 months from now, not really. My job is to do the things today that prepare me for eternity tomorrow. No, I am not saying eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die. What I am saying is that I may not be guaranteed tomorrow, but if I am living today the way Christ taught us to live, using His Atonement, and trying to be like Him in all that I do and say, then I can be guaranteed Eternity. And when I am living the way Christ would have me live, life is more simple, and more sweet.

It's like falling in love. I can't fall in love in a day, though sometimes I try. But I can meet someone and cultivate a friendship, and have fun. And I can do that while living the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ and applying myself to a lifetime of recovery.  In fact, the best way to do it is by living the doctrines of the gospel, and the principles of recovery. Out there, running high and dry and in the world, I will never find the kind of love I am looking for, one that can last through the Eternities. If I want a love to last through the Eternities, I have to be the kind of person I want to attract, and that comes from living the truths I have learned on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment